Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
Director of Programming Position
POSITION: Director of Programming
TYPE: Exempt, 40 hours per week. Flexible schedule, with weekends and evenings as required
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
The Director of Programming is responsible for conceiving, developing, and implementing the artistic vision and focus of the organization. In consultation with the Executive Director, makes major decisions about the ongoing development of the The Colonial’s mission to present quality performing arts, film, family and community events.
- Oversee the selection, scheduling and production of performances, cultural collaborations and partnerships with other arts and community non-profits.
- With the Live Events booker select, schedule and enter into contracts with touring artists.
- With the Film Booker select and schedule independent and world cinema feature films as well as developing event cinema including series, festivals and one-off special events.
- With the Executive Director and Finance Committee develop an annual programming budget including artist fees, event expenses and equipment.
- With the Executive Director develop new programming to engage untapped audiences.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization’s artistic purpose including introducing events and donor and member stewardship events.
- Foster the development of good relations with other arts and cultural organizations.
- Report to the Executive Director, and when requested, the Board of Directors to give an update on programming activity.
- Supervise the live event production and film staff.
- Supervise and schedule volunteers.
- Coordinate, with the House Manager, artist’s load in and strike, housing and hospitality.
- Establish a working familiarity with major production equipment: movie projector, mixing board, light board etc.
- Attendance at live and special film events.
- Provide Executive Director with project support and assist with office administration, as necessary.
A minimum of 5 years of experience in cultural and event planning is required.
To be successful in this role, applicant should also have:
- A passion for our mission and an ability to inspire others to get involved.
- Strong networking, presentation, and relationship-building expertise.
- High level of computer literacy. Applicants should have proficiency in working with Microsoft Office, Google Docs and relevant social media skills.
Salary to commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter describing interest in this position and 3 professional references to Colonialsearch@gmail.com by April 9, 2021. The subject line of the email should include your full name and “Director of Programming Position”.
No phone calls please.
All communications are confidential.
The Colonial is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is invested in creating an equitable and inclusive working environment and organizational culture.